How To Keep Heating Costs Low This Winter
Stay Cozy While Saving Money
Looking for ways to keep heating costs under control without spending the winter feeling chilly? The secret is energy efficiency: That means helping your equipment work better, not harder, to produce heat, and setting up your home so that heat isn’t wasted. From low- and no-cost tips to smart investments, here are five home heating efficiency tips to keep your home and family comfortable while reducing your heating costs.
- Turn down your water heater. Most water heaters have a default setting of 140° but that’s not only dangerous, it’s also inefficient. Reducing the temperature setting to 120° will meet all your hot water needs. Savings: up to 10%.
- Eliminate drafts. Unless you live in a brand-new home, it’s likely that as much as a third of the air in your home escapes via drafts around windows and doors. That’s like throwing money out the window—or door. A weekend of DIY projects, like sealing up drafts with caulking, weatherstripping and expanding foam will keep all that air you’re paying to heat inside your home. Savings: 20% or more.
- Install a programmable or smart thermostat. Used correctly, a programmable thermostat can help you lower your heating costs by adjusting the temperature in your home around your schedule. To maximize your savings, set the thermostat for 68° when you’re at home and awake—and layer up with your favorite sweater. Lower the temperature setting by 10° for the hours you’re asleep or out of the house. Savings: 10% or more.
- Get a tune-up. It’s never too late to schedule seasonal maintenance for your heating equipment. A tune-up keeps your heating equipment running smoothly, so it will use less fuel to keep your home warm. Our service technicians check for and fix problems that can decrease performance and efficiency, or that could lead to breakdowns, no-heat emergencies, and expensive repairs. Savings: up to 15%.
- Upgrade your heating equipment. Well-maintained systems can last for 20 years, but even with regular maintenance, efficiency declines over time. A new heating system is an investment, but upgrading to new high-efficiency equipment can drastically cut energy costs, while improving your comfort. In fact, when you combine a new high-efficiency heating system with other energy efficiency upgrades (like the ones above) you can cut your fuel bills in half. Savings: up to 50%.
Helping You Save
Dorr Oil has been taking care of the fuel delivery and heating and cooling equipment needs of homes and businesses in greater Manchester, VT, and surrounding communities for more than 20 years. We’re always looking for ways to help you keep costs under control, from our wallet-friendly pricing and payment options for oil or propane, to quality installations of new, energy-efficient equipment that’s right for your home and your budget.
We’re always happy to answer all your questions. Contact us today for more information on a tune-up, new equipment or to schedule a delivery.