What Is A Ductless Mini-split A/C System?
What is a ductless mini-split system?
If you’ve been thinking there’s a better way to cool your house than those noisy old window air conditioners, you’re right: a mini-split system is a much smarter choice for your central Vermont home!
Mini-split Quick Guide
Not familiar with mini-split systems? Here’s a quick guide to get you started.
- The key advantage of a mini-split system is that it doesn’t need ductwork.
- It can be installed quickly and cost-effectively;
- It can go just about anywhere in your house – from room additions to converted attics to garages – where climate control is needed;
- You don’t need a window to install a mini-split system, since the unit installs directly the wall;
- Ductless systems are great for people with respiratory and allergy problems, since they don’t use ducts (where microorganisms and allergens can grow and thrive); and
- You won’t lose cool air through leaky ducts (in a central air conditioning system, as much as 30 percent of your cool air can be lost this way).
- Mini-split systems are extremely efficient, with some achieving SEER ratings ranging well into the 20s (most are in the 18-20 range). A window air conditioner, by contrast, usually operates in the 15- to 16-SEER range.
- Ductless mini-split systems are very flexible, consisting of two parts – an inside component (sometimes called an air handler) and an outside component (the condenser/compressor). A single outdoor unit can operate up to four air handlers, allowing you to right-size your air handler to the room and control each room’s temperature with a thermostat. This helps you to create high-efficiency cooling zones.
- A mini-split won’t rob you of precious natural light or provide an easy way to break into your house; all that mini-split system installation requires is a 3-inch hole in your wall to connect the air handler to the condenser.
- Mini-split systems are much quieter than a window air conditioner, since the part of the system that makes noise is outside your house (rather than inside the unit, as it is with window A/Cs).
When you add it up, a mini-split air conditioner set-up has big advantages over window air conditioners, giving you many of the benefits of central air conditioning without the need for ductwork.
A ductless system can also supplement your primary central air system, providing relief for your main cooling equipment by taking on hard-to-cool rooms or home additions.
Could a ductless cooling system be right for your greater Manchester, NH home? Contact us today and let’s talk about it. We’ll give you a comprehensive FREE estimate on a cooling system that works for your space and budget and get it installed in just a day or two.
For ductless air conditioning installation in central VT, nobody beats the pros at Dorr Oil and Propane!
Please note: at Dorr Oil, your safety and comfort are always our priority. Please see our COVID-19 Service Update Page to learn more about how we are working to keep you and our crews safe and your home comfort systems working during this challenging time.